Angry Italian Chicken Sandwich
Rusettes® Potato Pancakes, crispy chicken breast, Arribiatta sauce, sliced Provolone cheese
- Rusettes® Full Sized Potato Pancakes (02496), prepare as directed, keep hot
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts – slightly pounded
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups panko
- vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Arribiatta Sauce (see recipe)
- Arribiatta Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 1 28 ounce can crushed Italian tomatoes
- 1 generous pinch of dried crushed red pepper flakes
- In large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes
- Reduce heat to medium and add the olives, capers, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and red pepper flakes, saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and simmer until reduced slightly, about 20 minutes.
- Season the sauce with salt if needed.
- Keep sauce warm (leftover sauce can be covered and refrigerated)
- Chicken Breasts
- Dip chicken breasts in flour, then beaten eggs.
- Dredge in panko crumbs and place in large skillet with enough heated vegetable oil to go up the sides of the chicken breast half way.
- Cook chicken until golden brown on both sides and completely cooked in the center.
- Take out of pan and place on paper towels – keep warm
- Potato Pancakes
- Heat 8 Potato Pancakes according to instructions
Place 1 potato pancake on each of 4 plates Place one chicken breast on top of potato pancake Top each chicken breast with a layer of hot Arribiatta Sauce Place 2 slices of Provolone Cheese on top of the Arribiatta Sauce on each sandwich Finish each of the 4 sandwiches with another potato pancake on top of the Provolone Cheese. Each sandwich can be served whole or cut in half.