Crispy Berbere Chicken Thighs with Ethiopian Spiced Gold Mashed Potatoes
Ethiopian crispy Berbere spiced chicken thighs served with gold mashed potatoes drizzled with melted ghee seasoned with Berbere spice and roasted heirloom carrots garnished with carrot top greens. Berbere pronunciation: “bear-BEAR”
- 6 skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 lbs. Lamb’s Supreme® gold mashed (item M0011) prepared as directed, keep hot
- 1 lb. trimmed heirloom carrots (keep carrot greens)
- olive oil
- ghee (clarified butter)
- Berbere spice blend (see recipe)
- Berbere Spice Blend:
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1” stick cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoons combination of pepper depending on taste and the strength of the chilies (dried chili flakes, paprika, cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- Dry roast in skillet; continually moving the spices with a spoon. Remove from heat when you can smell the aroma and the spices look lightly roasted. When the spices cool, grind it until fine.
- Chicken Prep:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Pat dry chicken
- Season all sides of chicken with salt and pepper
- Generously rub each piece of chicken with Berbere Spice Blend
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottom skillet, on medium high heat, place chicken skin side down and sear until it is crispy and golden, about 6-8 minutes. Turn over and turn heat down to medium, searing for 2-3 minutes. Place in a 400 F oven until internal temperature reaches 165 F (10-15 minutes).
- Keep warm.
- Vegetable Prep:
- Rinse heirloom carrots, cut tops about 1” from top of carrot.
- Slice carrots in half lengthwise.
- In skillet heat 2 tablespoons ghee and 2 tablespoons olive oil in medium high heat. Place sliced carrots in skillet and saute just until tender, remove and gently saute carrot tops until wilted.
- Plate Assembly:
- Place one chicken thigh on plate, add a small mound of mashed potatoes. Drizzle potatoes with ghee that has been seasoned to taste with the Berbere spice blend. Add serving of heirloom carrots to plate and garnish with wilted carrot greens. Sprinkle plate with dry Berbere spice blend.