Twisted Southern Style Catfish
*To clean a whole catfish, remove skin from the catfish, then slice the fillet across to a thickness of no more than 1/4". The secret to drying catfish is using thin fillets less than 1/4" thick. An hour-long soak in buttermilk washes aware the muddy flavor from freshwater fish such as catfish and tilapia.
Spicy-Rub Cornmeal Battered Catfish Nuggets
Vegetable oil, olive oil or butter (your choice)
4 medium freshwater catfish fillets*
1 cup cold milk
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2-3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. red (cayenne) pepper
Beer Peanut Sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup beer (Blue Moon)
3 Tbsp. peanut butter, regular creamy
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. water
Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the fillets under cold water and dry thoroughly with paper towels. Lay fillets in a pie plate and pour milk on top.
- In another pie plate, combine cornmeal, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Remove the fillets from the milk one at a time and roll in cornmeal mixture to coat evenly; place on a large platter to dry, leaving space between them. Let dry at least 5 minutes.
- Heat oil or butter in a large skillet. Add the coated catfish fillets and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, sprinkly additional salt on the catfish after each turn. Cook until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels; place in a preheated oven to keep warm while frying the remaining fillets. The fillets will remain hot and crisp for as long as 35 minutes.
- In a small sauce pan, over medium-low heat, place the beer and reduce by half.
- Add the heavy cream and peanut butter.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Create a slurry by combining the cornstarch and water. Add this slurry to the sauce and bring to a boil. Immediately turn off heat and whisk until the consistency of a sauce has been achieved.
- 6 oz. Lamb's Seasoned® Spicy Recipe Twister® Fries (item 34Z) prepared according to package directions.
- Toss Twisters and 8 oz. catfish nuggets and place in a paper lined basket.
- Fill ramekin with 1.5 oz. Beer Peanut Sauce.
- Optional: sprinkle crushed peanuts or boiled peanuts on top of sauce.